The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

69%
22.11.12

My daughter runs from the room if a story hints at anything sad or uncomfortable. She's only four but I've got 30 years on her and I still know how she feels. While often billed as a gentle, bitter-sweet humorous novel of manners, I found it dark, tragic, even, right from the start, when it's clear at once why the couple at its centre are so estranged. The language was beautiful, the descriptions of nature flawless, which is appropriate for a novel that highlights the balance between the joy of life and its apparent futility.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I just picked this one up for my stepmom for Christmas who I'm sure will tell me just how sad and dark it is. I rarely learn much about a book before diving into it so had just heard the great reviews.

    I received your wonderful and beautiful Christmas card yesterday. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I've not been near my laptop over Christmas. Nobody else seems to find Harold Fry as sad as I did so maybe I'm over-sensitive! It is a well written and interesting book and really one of the best I read in 2012 so your stepmom will probably love it. Have a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete